The 3-day FAR course replaces the former Occupational First Aid (OFA) course. It is the recognised by the Health & Safety Authority of Ireland (HSA) as meeting the requirements of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007 (S.I.No. 299 of 2007).
- Scene and patient assessment
- First Aid and Covid-19 in the workplace
- Recognising and treat choking
- How to perform CPR and how to use an AED (defibrillator)
- Recognising and treating stroke and heart attack
- Treatment of crush injuries, fractures, spinal injuries, sprains and strains
- Treatment for shock and poisoning
- How to treat and bandage wounds and other injuries
- Recognising and treating concussion and compression
- How to recognise and treat hypothermia and hyperthermia
- How to treat electric shock and chemical burns
What will I receive on the course?
Each participant will receive the following items:
- First Aid Response (FAR) booklet
- Student Pack (this includes triangular bandage, roller bandage, wound dressing, sterile dressing, bottle of hand sanitiser, face mask, gloves)
- Pocket Face Mask
- Key-ring Face Shield
- Request Emergency Dispatch (RED) Card
- Covid-19 information pack (this includes a 14-page ‘First Aid & Covid-19 in the workplace’ e-booklet, links to videos demonstrating correct hand hygiene and donning and doffing personal protective equipment (PPE) and 2 printable A4 posters for your workplace
In the interest of safety, the above items will be packaged by persons wearing appropriate personal protection equipment.
Learners will be assessed on their practical skills and complete a MCQ (Multiple Choice Question) exam
What precautions are in place in light of Covid-19?
Since the onset of the COVID-19 outbreak, St John Ambulance Ireland has put strong measures in place to help prevent the spread of the virus and protect the health of our members and members of the public while carrying out our training courses. These measures include:
Prior to attending one of our training courses, learners will need to complete a visitor declaration form. On review of this form, St John Ambulance confirm your attendance. On the day of the course, learners will need to confirm there have been no changes to their visitor declaration form and they are symptom free before being allowed to enter the hall.
Markers outside of the training hall indicate 2-meters social distancing. Learners will enter the porch and sanitise their hands using an elbow operated dispenser before entering the hall. Inside the hall there are markings on the floor outlining the walk routes to ensure social distancing is maintained. Learners will be asked to remain in these walk ways.
Learners will complete the practical in their own ‘pod’ which is separated either side by clear-perspex.
Each pod will contain a face mask, desk, chair, an adult tailor manikin (with fully movable arms, wrists, hands and fingers), a trainer AED (defibrillator), an adult CPR manikin and infant CPR manikin and various bandages and wound dressings. All bandages / dressings and slings will be new and unopened. Learners may take these items home with them or dispose of them in the designated bin if they do not wish to keep them.
The pods, desks, chairs, tailor manikins, CPR manikins and AED’s (defibrillators) will be sanitised prior to the course by persons wearing appropriate PPE.
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be available at 2 stands within the hall. Only 1 person may attend the stand at a time. Learners will be asked to sanitise their hands before getting their tea/coffee. We encourage people to use a napkin when using the burco. All cups and spoons will be single use and either recyclable or biodegradable. Biscuits will be individually wrapped.
Only 1 male and 1 female can use the toilet at a time. There are elbow operated sanitisers en route from the training hall to the toilet.
On leaving the building learners will again need to sanitise their hands.
Max Number of Learners
The max number of instructor to learners is 1:8
A PHECC FAR certificate is issued to all successful participants (which is valid for 2 years).
A 2-day refresher course must be attended within this period to keep the certificate valid.
Here’s some testimonials from people who have completed our courses
- The cost of this course is € 355 per person
- Discounts are available for groups.
Discounts are available for group bookings. For further information on discounts please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can book and pay securely via PayPal using the form below. You can also book a course or make an enquiry by calling our office on 01-668-8077 or by mailing email@example.com.